Long time club chef, Ernesto Vespucci, passed this menu staple down and it has remained a hit ever since he left Islandwood in 1982.
- 15 large button mushrooms
- 2/3 cup diced sweet or hot Italian sausage (casing removed)
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon onion powder
A. In a small skillet brown sausage in half of the canola oil on medium high heat until brown
B. Remove stems from mushrooms being careful to preserve the cap cavities
C. Very finely dice the stems and set half aside and discard the rest
D. Over medium heat, carefully saute garlic and diced stems in oil until tender. Let sit 10 minutes
E. When garlic and mushroom mix has cooled, stir in Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, pepper, and onion powder.
F. Generously stuff each mushroom with mixture. Arrange mushrooms on an oiled cookie sheet at least one inch apart
G. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until piping hot
Chef Roland Livingston, Executive Chef, Islandwood C.C.